Message Title: God Hates Human Pride
Series: God Hates…….?
Proverbs 6:16-19, 1 Peter 5:5-7
- God hates the haughty eyes of human pride.
- This type of pride keeps us from God.
- Pride is detrimental to the human soul.
- Pride destroys
- The opposite of pride is humility. (1 Peter 5:5-7)
- Humility is a choice.
- Humility allows God to work in my life. (1 Peter 5:6)
Follow-up Questions from Sunday:
Getting to Know You:
How do you like to eat your eggs in the morning?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything you heard for the first time or that caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
- Read Proverbs 6:16-19. God makes a list of some things that He hates that humans do and He lists pride as the first on His list. Why do you think that is? If you were to write a list, what would you put as number 1?
- Who was the most prideful (arrogant, self-centered) person you have ever met in your life and how did this person make you and others feel around them?
- When would you say was the season that you were the most prideful in your life? What events or people did God use to change that? How did your pride keep you from God?
- Read 1 Peter 5:5-7. Peter seems to contrast pride with humility. How would you define humility and who do you think is the best example of humility that you know?
- Read Matthew 11:28-29. What examples do you see in Jesus’ life of Him being a humble person. For some hints, read Philippians 2:3-8, John 13:3-17.
- How would you rate yourself as a humble person today? Would you say you are more prideful or humble as a person? How has Jesus been working in your life in these areas?
Taking it Home: