5 Solid Foundations for a Christ-Follower in 2021
1. Sola Scriptura: Scripture alone. (2 Timothy 3:14-17)
2. Sola Fide: Faith alone. (Romans 1:16-17; Ephesians 2:9)
3. Sola Gratia: Grace alone. (Romans 3:23; 6:26; Ephesians 2:8)
4. Solus Christus: Christ alone. (John 14:6; Acts 4:12; 1 Timothy 2:5-6)
5. Soli Deo Gloria: Glory to God alone. (1 Corinthians 10:31; 1Timothy 1:17)
Looking back on last Sunday’s message and your notes, what was the most memorable part for you?
1. On Sunday, Pastor Frank shared about some of the challenges he had in pastoring W.C.C. in 2020 and the importance of holding on to the 5 principles of the Protestant Reformation. Which one of these do you think is most important to remember for your life at this time? Why?
2. Read John 5:39; 2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Timothy 3:14-16. What do these verses say about the Holy Scriptures? What is the danger for a Christian not putting the Scriptures as the final authority of their faith? How do you see this happening today? Give examples.
3. Read Romans 1:16-17. Martin Luther said that these verses changed the course of his life as he read them one night in a monastery. He states, “It is not a righteousness that is by works or by penance or by indulgences or by absolutions or by prayers to the saints, but a righteousness that comes only by faith. By faith!” That was the truth that set him free. How do you think we can practically apply this verse in our spiritual lives today?
4. Read Ephesians 2:8-9. What does this verse say about the Christian faith? How does this verse speak to your own heart and what impact does it have for your walk with Jesus?
5. Read John 14:6; Acts 4:12; 1 Timothy 2:5-6; Col 1:15-17. What do these verses say about Jesus? Why do you think it is important to keep our eyes on Jesus alone and no one else for our faith? What happens to people that don’t do this? Has this ever happened to you? Please share.
6. Read John 21:15-17. Please pray for the leaders of our church that they will continue to love Jesus, follow Jesus, and lead our church as He directs us.
Taking it Home:
Pray that God will help you to understand these 5 faith principles for your life