- Ephesus was the goddess capital of the Roman world.
- The Cult of Diana was built upon the idea of pushing down men and elevating women at the expense of the man.
- Men and women are of equal value and worth as Children of God.
- Men are called to spiritually lead in their families.
- God calls wives to let their husbands lead.
- Only in submission to Christ can Ephesians 5 work.
Follow-up Questions from Sunday’s Message:
Getting to Know You:
Who were/are you closer to, your mother or father?
Looking back on last Sunday’s message and your notes, what was the most meaningful part for you?
- As a group, read Ephesians 5:21-33. How would you summarize what these verses are saying?
- Men: How do you feel about the standard for husbands in vs 25-28?
- Women: How do you feel about the standard for wives in vs 22-23?
- In practical terms, what does it mean for a wife to submit to her husband?
- What implication does “husbands, love your wives, just as Christ love the Church” have?
- What do you think a husband or wife should do if their spouse doesn’t follow the Biblical role defined in Scripture?
- In your own words, how would you explain the main goal of a Christian marriage?
- Who do you look up to as good role models for marriage and why?
Taking it Home:
Memorize Ephesians 5:21
Pray for your group this week that husbands and wives would grow in love and commitment with Jesus and each other.