What is Jesus not warning us about earthly wealth?
1. Jesus is not saying it is wrong to own things.
2. Jesus is not saying it is wrong to save money for a rainy day.
3. Jesus is not saying it is wrong to enjoy the fruits of your labor. What is Jesus warning us about earthly wealth?
4. Jesus is saying it is wrong to put your heart and life purpose in material possessions.
5. Living for wealth is a distraction to God’s higher purpose for your life.
Looking back on last Sunday’s message and your notes, what was the most memorable part for you?
1. Read Matthew 6:19-21. What do you think is so dangerous about storing up earthly treasures in our lives? It has been said that the spell of materialism is hard to break. Do you agree with this? How have you battled this in your life?
2. In Matthew 6, Jesus doesn’t say what heavenly treasures are. What do you think they are and how do you think we can store them up?
3. Read Matthew 6:22-24. What point do you think Jesus is trying to make? How do you think physical and spiritual sight or blindness are similar and how do you think this applies to money and wealth?
4. Read Matthew 6:25-34. What do you think Jesus is trying to say to us in this section?
5. How has this passage challenged you to re-examine your goals and ambitions?
Taking it Home:
Listen to the song “Sparrows” by Cory Asbury.
Quote by C.S. Lewis: “Prosperity knits a man to the world. He feels that he is ‘finding his place in it’, while really it is finding its place in him.”