1. It is not ok with Jesus for His disciples to be out of balance in life. (Mk 6:30-32)
What is Jesus’ solution to an “out-of-balance” life?
2. We need to take a pause on life.
3. We need to find a quiet place.
4. We need to rest.
5. We need to follow Him into rest.
Follow-up Questions from Sunday:
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything you heard for the first time or that caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
1. Read Mark 6:30-32 two or three times in different translations. Take some time to quietly meditate on the text. Close your eyes and try to picture what is happening in your mind. How would you describe what is happening here?
2. Why do you think Jesus responded the way He did? What do you think was happening in this situation with His Apostles that Jesus was not ok with?
3. What do you think these verses reveal about the heart of Jesus?
4. In Mark 6:30-32, Jesus had His Apostles pause from doing ministry, come with Him to a quiet place, and rest with Jesus. What do you think are some of the dangers of being out-of-balance in life both physically and mentally/spiritually?
5. What are some of your symptoms physically and emotionally/spiritually when you are out-of-balance? What things have you learned to do to get back in balance?
6. In the message on Sunday, Pastor Frank said that different people experience Jesus in different spiritual pathways. Which ones do you think are your top three? Some of them include:
a. The Cognitive Pathway of Studying Scripture (Matthew 22:37, 2 Timothy 2:15)
b. The Worship Pathway (Psalm 5:11; 7:17; 9:2; 33:2-3)
c. The Contemplative Pathway of silence and solitude/meditating on Scripture/prayer and journaling (Psalm 46:10, Psalm 1, Joshua 1:8)
d. The Relational Pathway of living and experiencing Jesus in community (Romans 12:10,16, 13:8)
e. The Serving Pathway of experiencing Jesus in service (Matthew 20:25-28, John 13:1-17)
f. The Nature Pathway of experiencing Jesus in His creation (Psalm 19:1, Isaiah 40:25-26, Col 1:15-16)
Pray to the Lord and ask Him if you are out-of-balance in your life and if so to show you in what ways.
Taking it home:
Practice Jesus’ solution of finding balance in your life this week by taking a pause on life (turn off the world) go with Jesus to a quiet place and rest. Practice the different spiritual pathways to find out which ones are your primary and secondary ways of connecting with Jesus. Be mindful that all the other pathways flow from spending time in the Word of God.