1. Watch out for people that say they know when the world’s going to end! (Mark 13:32)
What’s the difference between Jehovah’s Witnesses and the New Testament Gospel of Jesus?
2. The Jehovah’s Witnesses believe in a different Jesus. (John 1:1-2)
3. They believe that Jesus is a god, but not THE God.
4. They believe in a different gospel.
a. It’s a works-based salvation.
b. It is “Jesus plus religious activity”.
5. If it is new, it is not true and if it is true, it is not new! (Hebrews 1:1)
1. Read aloud Galatians 1:6-8; 11-12; 2:15-16; 3:11; 26-28; 5:6-7; 6:14-16. In this “fly over” of the book of Galatians, what would you say is the over-riding theme that the Apostle Paul is making? How does this apply to your life?
2. Read Galatians 1:6-7. Jehovah’s Witnesses say that they believe in the Bible. How are the Jehovah’s Witnesses teaching a different gospel? (Note: What do they teach about Jesus?)
3. Read Galatians 2:15-16 and Galatians 3:11. Compare what the Jehovah’s Witnesses teach on how to get saved/justified versus what the Bible teaches on how to get saved/justified?
4. So many Christians start out by believing in Jesus by faith, but eventually focus on some sort of works. That’s why legalism thrives. Why do you think many people are attracted to a works-based salvation?
5. Read Hebrews 1:1-2; Revelation 22:18-19. What do these verses have to say to the principle of “if it’s new, it’s not true and if it’s true it’s not new”
6. How has this message series broadened or clarified your understanding of the Gospel?
7. During this series of studying the Christian Gospel and the differences of other religions and religious thought, have you come to see the Gospel differently? If so, how? What message stands out in your mind the most, and why?
Close your group with prayer asking God for opportunities to share with others that the true Gospel is “Jesus plus nothing.”
Taking it home: Meditate on/memorize this verse:
Galatians 6:14-16 (NIV)
14 May I never boast except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. 15Neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything; what counts is the new creation. 16Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God.