1. Jesus’ baptism was a baptism of righteousness.
2. It is by the power of the Holy Spirit that Jesus fulfills His ministry.
3. The Holy Spirit is associated with power. The ministry of the Holy Spirit is critical in your life and mine:
4. For regeneration.
5. For resurrection.
6. For living the Christian life.
Looking back on last Sunday’s message and your notes, what was the most memorable part for you?
1. Read Matthew 3:1-17. What do we learn about John from these verses? What point do you think John was making in vs. 7-10? Do you think this message is relevant for us today? Why or why not?
2. The word “baptize” means to dip. How many “baptisms” do you see in these verses?
3. What do you think is different between the baptism of John, Holy Spirit, Fire, and Jesus’ personal baptism? Can you think of another baptism mentioned in the Bible? Matthew 28:19? What do you remember about your “Christian baptism”?
4. When God the Father referred to Jesus as His beloved Son do you think this was a fulfillment of Psalm 2 that the Messiah would have Divine Sonship? Why or why not?
5. Jesus refers to the Holy Spirit as a person many times in His teaching to the disciples the night before He died. (John 14:15-17, 26; 15:7-15). At Jesus’ baptism, it says that the Holy Spirit fell on Him. How important was the person of the Holy Spirit in the ministry of Jesus? (Isaiah 11:1-2; 61:1-2; Zechariah 4:6, Luke 4:14).
6. How important is the person of the Holy Spirit in your life? Read John 3:5-6; Romans 8:15-16; Titus 3:5; Galatians 5:22-23; 2 Timothy 1:7. How have you experienced His ministry in your life lately?
7. When did the ministry of the Holy Spirit first come upon your life according to Ephesians 1:13? Why do you think this is so important to know?
Taking it Home:
Pray that God will help you to understand the person of Jesus and the Holy Spirit in a deeper more personal way this week.