Definition of Missionary:
“A person who, in response to God’s call and gifting, leaves his/her comfort zone and crosses cultural, geographic, or other barriers to proclaim the Gospel and live out a Christian witness in obedience to the Great Commission.” North American Missionary Board
A. The Holy Spirit gives them the strength/power
The Holy Spirit supplies this power.
This power or strength of God is not exclusive to missionaries, but is available to each one of us.
Verses: Acts 1:8; Ephesians 3:20; Philippians 4:13; Psalm 71:16; Ephesians 6:12
B. The Holy Spirit gives them comfort
Two things about sacrifice:
A. It is needful
We may need to sacrifice our will
We may need to sacrifice our time
We may need to sacrifice our money
B. It is required
Romans 12 says we need to be living sacrifices
We serve when we don’t feel like it.
We give when we don’t have much
We forgive when it’s hard to do so
We rejoice even when we are hurting
Verses: Matthew 10:16; Romans 8:36; 1 Chronicles 29:8-9; Romans 12:1; 2 Corinthians 1:3-4; 2 Corinthians 5:14-15
Follow-up Questions from Sunday:
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything you heard for the first time or that caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
1. Read Luke 24:45-53; Acts 1:1-11. The books of Luke and Acts were originally one book in two sections. How does the beginning of Acts pick-up where Luke leaves off?
2. As a believer, what is the personal impact on your life of Jesus’ words in verse 8? And impact of Jesus’ departure in verse 9? And of the angel’s promise in verse 11?
3. It has been said that the church is not a building we sit in, but a movement that we become a part of. Do you think this is true, why, or why not? Please share.
4. If we all are on mission living out Jesus’ Kingdom principles on earth and proclaiming Him, how would you define the difference between us and a “missionary”?
5. Discuss if anyone in the group has experienced cross-cultural missions work and if so, what was their most meaningful experience and hardship?
6. What do you think is the biggest challenge missionaries are facing in today’s world?
7. Discuss about the statistics provided on the percentage of unreached people groups still left in this world.
8. Read Matthew 19:27-30. How do you think these verses apply and do not apply to our lives? What kind of sacrifice do you think we should all be willing to make to have the Gospel reach the unreached groups of the world?
Pray this week for our missionaries that they would have a fresh filling of the power of the Holy Spirit to continue to do what they do.
Growth Group discussion:
Would your Growth Group prayerfully consider being a part of the Mission Fair next year to raise support for additional mission work through our missionaries?