1. The significance of repentance
2. The substance of repentance
i) What repentance is not:
– it is not remorse
– it is not regret
– it is not resolve
– it is not reform
ii) What repentance is:
– it is Godly sorrow
– it is to turn from sin and turn to God
3. The source of repentance
– Repentance is presented in scripture as both a gift from God and the duty and responsibility of each and every person.
4. The subjects of repentance
– Sinners must repent
– Saints must repent
Follow-up Questions from Sunday’s Message:
1. Read the list in 1 Corinthians 5:11 and Galatians 5:19-21. What does this make you want to do?
2. Read Psalm 51. What requests did David make to show that he has genuinely repented?
3. Describe how you have felt when the Holy Spirit deeply convicted you of sin in your life.
4. How does a person truly repent?
5. What do you think are the reasons why people, especially men, find it difficult to repent?
6. What do you think it means to repent “in sackcloth and ashes”? (Matthew 11:21)
7. What does it mean to be “unrepentant”? What will your condition be?