1. Jesus is not at odds with the teachings of Moses.
2. Jesus is at odds with the interpretation of the religious leaders’ teachings of Moses.
3. By the time Jesus is done with His teaching in Matthew 5, no one is left thinking he/she is righteous before God.
4. Jesus fulfills the “righteousness” requirement of the law for us from the cross.
Looking back on last Sunday’s message and your notes, what was the most memorable part for you?
1. In general, why do you think people believe they don’t need God in their lives?
2. Why do you think it is important to God that we see our sinful condition before Him?
3. Read Matthew 5:17-20. This passage naturally divides into two parts, verses 17-18 and 19-20. What does each part emphasize?
4. The Law and the Prophets consist of doctrine, prophecy, and moral precepts. In what sense has Jesus fulfilled each of these? vs. 17.
5. As you read Jesus’ teaching in Matthew 5, what do you think is the most profound?
What do you think is the most practical?
Taking it Home:
Watch the 3rd episode of “The Chosen” and see Jesus teach these principles to some children around Capernaum.
Notice how He teaches the principle of “an eye for an eye” to the kids. Brilliant!
Pray that God will help you to understand your total need for a Savior in Jesus and to appreciate Him deeper in your life!