- Jesus was led by the Spirit to be tempted by the devil
- The devil’s method of temptation “the devil is not very creative”
- The first temptation – the lust of the flesh
- The second temptation – the pride of life
- The third temptation – the lust of the eyes
- How does this work in practical terms?
- temptation in and of itself is not sin
- temptation is a normal part of life
- temptation has two meanings
- only the devil can tempt us
- God will test us
- How do we overcome temptation?
- watch and pray
- know the scriptures
- resist the devil
- put on the full armor of God
Looking back on last Sunday’s message and your notes, what was the most memorable part for you?
1. In the 1970’s the comedian Flip Wilson made “The devil made me do it!”- a national catchphrase. Discuss if that is how temptation works.
2. How are the three kinds of temptations similar? How are they different?
3. If the devil had three shots at you, what three temptations would he use?
4. Is there an area in your life where you are being tempted right now? How are you going to deal with it?
5. What have you found helpful in overcoming temptation?
6. Discuss the statement made by the theologian Leon Morris:
‘’ The man who yields to a particular temptation has not felt its full power. He has given in while the temptation has yet something in reserve. Only the man who does not yield to temptation, who, as regards to that particular temptation, is sinless, knows the full extent of that temptation”
Taking it Home:
Pray that God will help you to understand the person of Jesus and the Holy Spirit in a deeper more personal way this week.