What are Angels?
- Angels are mentioned in over half of the books of the Bible.
- The word angel occurs over 275 times in the Bible.
- Angels are other dimensional created (Col 1:16)
- Angels and humans are similar in the creative order. (Psalm 8:4-5)
- They are eternal beings. (Lk 20:36)
- They have personal identity. (Lk 1:18-20
- They feel and display emotion. (Lk 1:18-20)
- They have free will. (Jude 6)
- Angels have great power and ( Gen 19, 2 kings 19:35, Mt 26:53 Dan 10:4-6)
What is the job description of angels?
- They are used by God in answering visions and dreams. (Dan ch 7-12)
- They are used by God to guard and serve His people. (Psalm 91:11, Heb 1:14)
- They are used by God to transport His people to (Lk 16:22)
- They are used by God as heavenly (Rev 12:7 Dan 10)
Follow-up questions from Sunday:
Icebreaker: When was the last time you were really scared? Have you ever been so scared that you fainted? Please share.
- Go around the room and read Daniel 10.
- What captures your attention as you read this chapter? If you could put a title on this chapter what would it be?
- Read Heb 1:14,Heb 13:2. Has there ever been a time in your life when you think you might have met an angel? Please share. Do you know of a person who says that they met an angel? Please share.
- Read Psalm 91:9-11, 2 Kings 6:14-17. How do you think angels have been used by God to guard you in your life? What do you think God uses His angels to guard you from?
- Read 1 Peter 1:10-12. The Apostle Peter is writing that the O.T. prophets (like Daniel) tried to figure out the mystery of the Messiah–both suffering and ruling. It was revealed by God to them that their prophecies were for later generations to understand. These verses end with an interesting commentary that angels long to understand this salvation given to mankind but not to them. Why do you think that is? Do you think we should feel special that God would send His One and only Son to die for us, but not for fallen angels? Do you think we are seen as special to them?