Message Title: What is the Deal with Hell?
Key verses: Mt 25:41, 2 Thess 1:6-9, 2 Peter 2:4
- Jesus teaches about hell more than any other person in the Scriptures.
What is the deal about hell?
- God prepared hell for the devil and his demons. (Mt 25:41)
- Jesus describes hell as a place of:
* eternal fire (Mt 18:8, 25:41)
* eternal punishment (Mt 25:46)
* outer darkness (Mt 8:12)
* weeping and gnashing of teeth (Mt 8:12)
- Hell is a place of judgment. (2 Peter 2:4)
- Hell is a place for people that reject Jesus. (2 Thess 1:8)
- Hell is a place of eternal separation from God. (2 Thess 1:9)
- Jesus teaches more about hell so as to warn us not to go there!
Follow up questions from Sunday:
Icebreaker: What are you thankful for today?
1) Why do you think some people struggle with the concept of hell more than heaven?
2) How did the message on Sunday bring some clarity to your understanding of hell that you maybe didn’t have before? Please share.
3) Read Romans 12:18-19 & Rev 20:11-12. It is said that there is a higher court than the Supreme Court and that one day all evil will be dealt with by God. How do you think this could actually comfort someone today?
4) Read Rom. 6:23 & 2 Pet. 3:9. What does God desire of all people? How did he provide a way of escape from the consequences of our sins? If Jesus was willing to suffer and die for the people of the world, what does this show about God’s love for every human?
5) Read Deut. 30:15-19. All people, in all times, have this fundamental choice. What does God desire for us? Do you think the choice that people are faced with is clear? What insight does this shed on heaven and hell?
6) Read 1 John 2:15-17. What does life look like for people that refuse to choose God? Read Rom. 10:9-10. Is it easy to “choose life” given the world we live in? Why or why not?
Read Mt 25:41. Why do you think God created the devil? Go to our web site and watch Pastor Frank answer that question.
- S. Lewis writes in his book The Great Divorce: “There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, ‘Thy will be done,’ and those to whom God says, in the end, ‘Thy will be done.’ All that are in Hell, choose it.”