Message Title: A Personal Update to a Healthy Church
Series: Philippians – A Letter to a Healthy Church
- Paul’s letter is not just a personal thank you, but an update on his life.
God is using this valley for good:
- People that normally would not have heard about Jesus are now hearing about Him (Philippians 1:13)
- Healthy believers are bolder to share Jesus. (Philippians 1:14)
- Unhealthy believers are also bolder to share Jesus. (Philippians 1:15-18)
- Paul’s letter became Holy Scripture. (2 Peter 3:14-16)
- Healthy believers have a healthy view of death. (Philippians 1:21)
Follow-up Questions from Sunday:
Getting to Know You:
When was the last time you were really nervous about something you had to do?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything you heard for the first time or that caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
- In Philippians 1, Paul felt comfortable sharing about his situation and inner feelings about his up and coming trial. Who do you feel most comfortable sharing your inner feelings with? What circumstance or events came about that allowed you to trust these people?
- Read Philippians 1:12, Romans 8:28. In dark times, we don’t always see what God is doing, but in hindsight we sometimes find clarity. How have you seen an example of this play out in your life?
- Have you ever experienced persecution because of your faith? Please share. Have you yet seen how God used it for good?
- Why do you think most people fear death?
- What do you fear most about your death?
- Read 1 Corinthians 2:9, Philippians 1:21-23. What do you think Paul knows about death that gives him the confidence to say this? How does this attitude of Paul speak into your life?
- Read John 14:1-3, John 11:25, Luke 23:42, and John 3:16. How does Jesus view death? What difference has your personal faith in Jesus made in your attitude toward death and dying?
- “For me, to live is ________.” Given your priorities and schedule this week, how would you honestly finish this sentence? What would change if you answered ”Christ”?
Taking it Home:
What is one thing you can apply to your life from this message and how can this group remember you in prayer this week?