Message Title:Not of this World
Series: The Last 24 Hours
The “world” that Jesus is talking about:
- Is the broken fallen belief system of humanity that lives independent of God.
- Is in rebellion towards the Creator and controlled by Satan.
Why does the world persecute Jesus and his followers?
- The world is lost and has no proper concept of its Creator. (John 15:21; John 1:10)
- We follow a different set of kingdom values. (John 15:22-25; John 3:19; John 7:7)
Follow-up Questions from Sunday’s Message:
Getting to Know You:
What was your favorite band growing up?
Looking back at your notes from this week’s teaching, was there anything you heard for the first time or that caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
- Read John 15:18-25. What do you think Jesus was trying to teach His disciples here, the night before He went to the cross? How is He speaking to you in these verses?
- What do you think it is about Jesus that the world hated back then? What do you think it is about Jesus that the world hates now?
- Why do you think so many people hate Christians today? Have you ever been treated poorly for being a follower of Jesus? Why do you think that was? How did you handle it?
- Do you remember a time in your Christian life when you first felt that you were in the world, but not of the world? When was it and what was the circumstance?
- Read 1 John 2:15-16. What do you think John means by “do not love the world?”
- What does the “lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the boastful pride of life” look like in our current generation/culture? Give examples.
- Read James 4:1-4. Is James saying that it is wrong to have wants, needs, and desires? If not, then what is he referring to in this passage?
Taking it Home:
What is one thing you can apply to your life from this message and how can this group remember you in prayer this week?