Message Title: Civil Servant Sunday
Follow-up Questions from Sunday:
Getting to Know You:
What is the most courageous thing you have ever done?
Looking back from this week’s teaching, was there anything you heard for the first time or that caught your attention, challenged, or confused you?
1. Read Romans 13:1-6. Why does Paul say we should submit to governing authorities?
- Compare Romans 13 with Acts 5:27-32. What do you think is the difference between submitting to authorities and unconditionally obeying them? What aspects of government do you find most difficult to accept?
- Share in your group your definition of justice and mercy.
- Read Micah 6:8. How does this verse speak to your heart? What do you think it means to “act justly”, “love mercy”, and “walk humbly with your God”? How have you seen these character qualities developed in your life as you’ve been following Jesus? Of these three qualities, which one is the hardest for you to do?
- Police officers, fire fighters, and people of the medical community are seen as professional servants of justice and mercy. As followers of Jesus, how can we value and encourage our civil servants as they continue to uphold justice and provide mercy in our communities?
- How do you see God using you and this church as servants of His justice and mercy in this city and around the world?
Taking it Home: