Message Title: Wisdom from the book of Job
Series: Respect the Beard
Job 1:8-11New International Version (NIV)
8 Then the LORD said to Satan, “Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil.”
9 “Does Job fear God for nothing?” Satan replied. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? You have blessed the work of his hands, so that his flocks and herds are spread throughout the land. 11 But now stretch out your hand and strike everything he has, and he will surely curse you to your face.
Job 1:20-21 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
20 Then Job arose and tore his robe and shaved his head, and he fell to the ground and worshiped. 21 He said,
“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
And naked I shall return there.
The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away.
Blessed be the name of the LORD.”
1. Sin equals suffering
2. Righteousness equals success
3. This is known as simple wisdom.
4. Job is known in the scriptures as an example of complex wisdom.
5. The book of Job is about a battle in heaven over motives.
6. The wise person will love and trust God in spite of the severe ups and downs of life.